Here are some posts on preaching and exegesis that I noticed recently. (To receive Preaching Post Roundup as a weekly email, please subscribe.)
- 3 Reasons to Slow Down Your Sermon Prep from Josh King (Facts & Trends) – as with grilling: time to marinate, time to smoke, time to sit
- All About Application from Ken Whitten (Preaching Source) – when making application, ask What does God want me to know? To believe? and To do?
- Applying Doctrine from Daniel Overdorf (Preaching Source) – state the doctrine; fill in the blank, “Therefore, we _______; give specific examples
- Aim High with Your Application from Keith Collier (Preaching Source) – include both short-term, specific goals and long-term, aspirational goals
- Application and Meaning: A Stairway to Climb from Clint Ellis (Preaching Source) – explore the meaning; examine the preacher; examples for the congregation
- Preaching the Christian Life as a Race and a Warfare: What I’m Learning From Reading Jonathan Edwards’s Earliest Sermons from Randal Pelton (Pelton on Preaching) – preach grace, but also preach effort
- How to Read Jeremiah Theologically from William R. Osborne (Credo) – covenant consequences; idols and the true God; restoration and a new covenant